Some dogs have a tendency of trying to eat just about everything they come across. In most cases, this causes some slight discomfort. There are things, however, that can be dangerous enough to be deadly to your dog if he eats them.
Here is a short list of products you should keep away from your dog. To keep from repeating this warning, I’ll put it here in bold letters:
CALL YOUR POISON CONTROL CENTER IF YOUR DOG HAS INGESTED ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
1) Antifreeze: Many people do not realize it, but common antifreeze kills many pets each year. It smells and tastes very sweet to your dog and is very appealing to him. Very small amounts can cause kidney failure that can be fatal in just a few days..
2) Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine which is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate are especially dangerous. If you find that your dog helped himself to chocolate, get him to the vet immediately. While chocolate ingestion is rarely fatal, it can result in significant illness in your dog.
3) Caffeine: Caffeine ingestion can cause severe illness and at high doses can even cause seizures and death. We don’t generally think of dogs lapping up coffee but sweetened soda is loaded with caffeine and when spilled, especially on the floor, has a great appeal for dogs.
4) Bleach: As you might imagine, household bleach is toxic to dogs. The odor of bleach is very irritating to the skin, lungs and eyes, not only to people but also to dogs and other animals. If your dog walks through a puddle of bleach on your floor, you should thoroughly rinse his feet to remove any bleach trapped between his toes or foot pads as well as any affected area such as the skin and fur.
5) Tylenol: As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a small dog. The effect it has on the liver is generally the problem with Tylenol ingestion. If you think your dog has eaten Tylenol, look for depression as well as rapid breathing and nausea and drooling after 1-4 hours.
6) Watch Batteries: If your dog ingests a watch battery, it can cause a potentially fatal ulceration in the stomach within 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are toxic to dogs as well. If your dog bites and punctures a battery, it will leak and burn your pet’s mouth, esophagus and/or stomach.
7) Moth Balls: Moth balls are very dangerous to dogs. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures. Don’t put mothballs in gardens as your dog may eat them. Some chemicals in mothballs can cause reversible health effects, including headaches, eye and nose irritation and severe coughing.
8) Fabric Softeners and other detergents: All sorts of household detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the highly toxic category. The main symptoms in your dog generally are headache, dizziness and fatigue.
9) Mouthwash: Mouthwash can contain boric acid which is highly toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma.
10) Peach Pits: With most fruits, the pits and the seeds are toxic to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy.
11) Household Plants: Many common and popular household plants are highly toxic to dogs. A partial list of toxic plants includes poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil’s ivy, aloe, and ivy.
Again, to repeat, if you think your dog may have eaten any of these substances, or anything else that could poison him, call the poison control center immediately. It could save your dog’s life.
For more information about dog topics, please go to: http://www.feelsafeandsecuretoday.com
Article Source: https://EzineArticles.com/expert/Larry_Zolna/50254
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/10340587
One of the best things about being dog owner is the communication – see top 5 dog commands that will help you communicate better with your dog
looking for a dog who is small and easy to communicate with? Here are few of the choices of little dog breeds who are smart too
when you look for a kitten to adopt or buy they are all being cute but there is much more to know about the kittens
Cats, are extremely sensitive to catnip – it basically makes the roll on the ground, drooling, and mashing their face into wherever the catnip was sprinkled while it has essentially no effect on us.
The British Shorthair are medium to large sized gorgeous cats who are very powerful and heavily muscled with rounded-thick appearance
Dogs are our family members but sound knowledge about breeds is essential before adopting a dog – mainly about the size, energy levels, care, temperament, and all pros and cons. In my last post I explained how you can make your dog smarter and gave few tips about that like getting dogs social, but you should know the strong and weak points of each breed before choosing the dog for your family. Recommendations from a veterinarian can also support your choice to select a dog breed that will be friendly and loyal to your family and kids, but you should know the common knowledge about the each breed to consider which one is the best suits your family. Golden Retriever The Golden Retriever is an affectionate, playful, confident, obedient, smart, extremely patient, kind, loyal, non-aggressive, and brave dog. It could be a perfect choice for its family-friendly nature. Its need for exercise makes it a perfect choice to provide a lot of action for the kids and it also requires low maintenance grooming. Labrador Retriever Labrador Retriever is an obedient, protective, playful, reliable, patient, loving, and intelligent dog, that is usually easy to train and groom. They can be perfect dogs for families because of their need for humans, plus they even love swimming. Bichon Frise Bichon Frises are white cuties, that are particularly energetic petites and loved which makes them perfect dogs for families. They sometimes need some extra time to run outside otherwise they love to stay calm at home, they are quite peaceful dogs that don’t bark and love to cuddle, they also require low maintenance and grooming. Poodle Poodles are very smart, loyal, caring, playful, elegant, and gentle dogs with a good temperament. This breed comes in both small and larger sizes, they can be grown as dogs for families with some allergies as they shed very little. Pugs Pugs are lovely, intelligent, and friendly but sometimes stubborn dogs. They are loved for their playful nature, they are well known as toy dogs or lapdogs for their small size which makes them one of the best dogs for family. Irish Setter Irish Setter is an energetic, playful, smart, and affectionate dog that loves to seek the attention of people and is a perfect choice for playing with children. They are beautiful dogs but require a lot of training and regular grooming. Vizsla Vizsla is a gentle, loyal, energetic, obedient, and confident dogs. They require low maintenance and grooming and t can be the best choice for growing with family. St. Bernard Although St.Bernard requires proper training and grooming, these are the very good as family dogs and very protective to the kids. They’re generally quiet, loyal, and neighbour friendly dogs. They have a playful nature which makes them the best companion for children. Newfoundland Newfoundland is an intelligent, gentle, patient, and kind dog that loves children. They require daily grooming but can easily be trained and are quite task oriented. They love swimming and are famous as lifesaving dogs during emergencies. Boxer Once you have a Boxer as your pet, your family is in good hands. Boxers are loyal, energetic, calm, and protective medium-sized dogs. They have a playful nature and need a lot to exercise. They are the best family dogs ever and will protect your family no matter what. Border Collie Border Collie is a family-friendly, amusing, gentle, and easily trainable dog breed. They are pretty hard to train and have stubborn nature sometimes but they love protecting and pleasing their owners. Bull Terrier Although Bull Terrier is considered to be little aggressive, it’s friendly and loving nature makes it a good companion dog that is very friendly and playful. Low maintenance grooming and their friendly nature makes them a good candidate for growing in family. Beagle Beagle is a small-sized dog with a calm temperament, jolly and friendly nature. They are famous as hunting dogs and are also very playful – especially outdoors, Beagles are beloved and smart and can be a good candidate as a dog for families. Mastiff If you want a calm, peaceful, and obedient dog – Mastiffs are the best choice as family dogs. They are a little bit lazy because of their size and need to be trained. Bulldog Small-sized Bulldog has a friendly nature. It is a docile, loyal, and energetic dog that requires special care but they are one of my favourite breeds. They are not so energetic but have a playful nature and are a well-known companion for social families. So which one is the Best Family Dog ? Family dogs are selected based on care, temperament, and breeds nature. Many dog breeds are famous as family dogs such as Golden Retriever, Pugs, Bulldog, Mastiff, Beagle, Bull Terrier, Boxer, Border Collie, St.Bernard, etc. You should have a sound knowledge about the dog breeds before selecting it for the family.
Follow these 5 simple steps on a daily basis to make your dog smarter and keep him/her in a good mental shape for the long run
What if lately, you’ve been noticing your pet sleeps abnormally (more than usual), eats less, seems sad, and spends most of its time moping round the house. All these behaviors are totally opposite to his or her normal behavior. Without a doubt, you may start to worry!
Pets are perceived to be a much cherished sidekick of people. They fill in as a relative, partner, or just a toy to snuggle regular. To have the capacity to do that, pets must be dealt with. Having a pet is an incredible obligation, since like people, they should be in perfect condition to have the capacity to complete their most fundamental capacities.
If you have a pet dog but you don’t want to take it to a grooming shop, you can use a home-use pet dryer to groom your pet. We know that it is important to bathe your pet at least once a month. You can either do it yourself or hire the services of a professional groomer.
If you have a furry friend, such as a cat, you may be looking for ways to treat it the best way possible. For example, you can buy the best food for them or take them for or medical checkups on a regular basis. Although you can buy different types of gifts for your furry friend, nothing can work better than a comfortable pet bed.
Your pet cat may be smarter than you think. Just by observing cats for a while, you can tell that they are very witty. They are fast learners and very observant.
When Halloween comes to your mind, it is always witches, pumpkins, bats, and black cats that you generally think of. But know much do you really about cats. You can check how much you know these creatures with the following fun facts attached to them.
Cats Love To Scratch And Claw It is instinctive of cats to scratch and claw different surfaces as the way of sharpening their claws. Actually, they have lots of fun doing this. In addition to sharpening their claws, scratching can help relax and rejuvenate cats.
Pop Up Dog Tents There are dogs who love to go camping and yet there are others that are not as thrilled to experience a change of environment. Honestly speaking, pop up dog tents with their great design and concept is not for all dog owners and their pets. These tents are best for dogs that are smaller and crate-trained.